Composite wood, an eco-friendly alternative to wood
Produced in a virtually waste-free manufacturing process, Fiberon offers consumers durable and sustainable decking product options that save natural resources. From raw material sourcing to routine maintenance, Fiberon outdoor living products incorporate the following sustainable practices.
Use of locally-sourced, recycled materials
- Fiberon diverts millions of tons of wood and plastics from landfills and incinerators each year.
- Fiberon products consist of the following recycled and reclaimed content:
- All recycled content is sourced within 500 miles of our manufacturing facilities.
- Our composite decking products are made from recycled, high-density polyethylene (HDPE) plastic (milk jugs, shampoo and laundry detergent bottles). HDPE has higher tensile strength for denser, durable products that also withstand higher temperatures better than poorer performing low density polyethylene (LDPE).
- We combine with the HDPE with reclaimed wood flour, acquired from window trim, door frames, lumber and cabinet waste. HDPE encapsulates the wood protecting it from harsh weather, warping, splintering and decay.
Energy-efficient, virtually waste-free manufacturing
- 98.5% of all material waste is recovered from our manufacturing processes.
- The use of closed loop water cooling systems allow for zero water discharge.
Safe for your Home and for the environment
- All products are urea formaldehyde-free.
- No toxic chemicals are used in the manufacture of Fiberon products.
A durable performer ? year after year
- Fiberon products deliver long-term performance that requires no chemical preservatives, paint or stains that are common for wood decks, railing and fencing.
Ideal for high-performance green buildings
- Fiberon composite decking products count towards LEED points and other green building programs for recycled content.
- Designed for easier installation ? 40% fewer screws reduce installation time 30%.
- For more details please read our document on how Fiberon incorporates sustainable practices and benefits into every product.
Fiber Composites is proud to be an ally of the Environment Protection Agency?s (EPA) GreenScapes, a program that promotes cost-efficient and environmentally friendly solutions for landscaping. Designed to help preserve natural resources and prevent waste and pollution, it provides research, guidance, publications and online calculator tools that can aid in your decision making and implementation of more sustainable landscape solutions.
The GreenSpaces Decking Alternative Cost Calculator demonstrates that environmentally preferable decking options are very cost competitive.